July 9, 2009

tater red mystery

If you have ever heard of Memphis, then you have probably heard of Beale St. Just as you turn onto that street from Second is B.B. Kings, which you may have also heard of. Just past that is Tater Red's. And if you have heard of that.....well, you just deserve to know that you are special. Tater Red's is a quirky little shop filled with all kind of goodies. The actual name of the establishment is Tater Red's Lucky Mojos and Voodoo Healings. And from what I understand Tater Red is a real guy. Like, really real. Anyways, apparently some connections of some connections round here know Tater Red. They even know him well enough that a couple of years ago I got to try Tater Red's Mater Pie. Yep, you read it right, Tater Red's Mater Pie. (Are y'all readin' this as if you were Paula Deen? No? Then go back and start over.)

You see this story isn't really about Memphis or Beale St or even Tater Red's crazy little shoppe. It's about the Mater Pie. I need to find the recipe for that Mater Pie. It must have had some voodoo powers of its own to cast a spell on me like this. I need that recipe. I have a good mind to march down there with a basket of tomatoes from our garden and voodoo him into showing me how to make that pie.

Until then, we will just keep fixin' (yes, I said fixin') our tomatoes like this. And maybe make up some other crazy concoctions. Hope you are enjoying fresh tomatoes as much as we are!

How about Fried Green Tomatoes? Yummy!


Or how about Roasted Tomato and Feta Burgers? Just slice the tomato, drizzle with olive oil and pop in the oven at 425 for about 5 minutes. My new favorite!

For a post actually having to do with Memphis,
check out Olive Rue's recent visit.

1 comment:

  1. oh! I want to eat that burger right now! yum! Kelly

    ReplyDelete