April 29, 2009

Treasures from Nature

Jacob and I have been working in the yard just about every day for the last two weeks. We have been covered in mud, sore backs, splinters, and we even worked in the rain. BUT it has been so worth it. I love being outside and it has been refreshing to be so productive. Plus, we have just enjoyed experiencing all the little wonders of God's creation.




First, we prepared our garden area. Jacob cleared most of the grass and made the soil loose. We had decided on a raised garden, so then Jacob had to build a frame. I promise I was working too even though I keep saying Jacob did all the work. After the wooden frame was built and put in place, we had to attach the chicken wire to help keep the dogs out. This was fun. I didn't even have the strength to cut the wire....at all. So then again, Jacob was doing most of the work. Finally, we were able to plant the tomatoes, yellow squash, zucchini, acorn squash, spaghetti squash, butternut squash, jalapenos, and bell peppers. Notice the cayenne pepper around the frame? That's to keep our pesky chipmunk friends and squirrels away. Adds a little spice to the landscape too! (Okay, I couldn't resist!)





Our next project was the dogwood tree Jacob's parents gave us for our first anniversary a few weeks ago. This was easy, but of course, Jacob did all the digging. I just hauled the tree from the patio the planting spot and took it out of that black bucket.



Project three was a fence around the air conditioner unit. Words cannot describe how hideous this air conditioner is. We had to have our old unit replaced last summer and the new contraption is twice as large and twice as ugly. Well, we (Jacob) have fixed that. We had some fencing lying around (literally) that my father-in-law had given us. We cut it down shorter and framed the air conditioner unit. Jacob put a cute little hinge on the front and the latch should come tomorrow. Yippee! Cheap fix to such an eye sore. Now I can use the fencing for climbing plants. I may even move some of the roses from the West side of our house. Check out the picture of those too!


We've had a beautiful spring so far - I cannot wait for summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment